Travelling with a Dog – Passports and Vaccinations.

Travelling with a Dog – Passports and Vaccinations.

As Britain is set to leave the EU at the end of this year. All the rules for travelling with pets will change as of 1st January 2021. Under these new rules your current EU Pet Passport will NOT be valid.

The following information has been taken from the UK Governments website.

Prior to Travelling

Before your dog, cat or ferret can travel to the EU for the first time after 1 January 2021, you’ll need to take the following steps.

  1. You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped.
  2. Vaccinate your dog, cat or ferret against rabies – your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.
  3. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after its primary rabies vaccination (from a current series of vaccinations). Your vet may recommend a booster rabies vaccination before this test.
  4. Your pet’s blood sample will be sent to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory.
  5. Wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you can travel.
  6. The vet must give you a copy of the test results and enter the day the blood sample was taken in an animal health certificate (AHC).

You will not be able to travel with your pet if you have not completed these steps.

Get an animal health certificate (AHC)

You must also take your pet to your vet no more than 10 days before travel to get an AHC. (The AHC needs to be signed by an official vet. Check with your vet that they can issue AHCs for pets.)

You must take proof of:

  • your pet’s microchipping date
  • your pet’s vaccination history
  • a successful rabies antibody blood test result

Your pet’s AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
  • onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
  • re-entry to Great Britain for 4 months after the date of issue

Travelling to the Republic of Ireland

If you’re travelling with your dog directly to Finland, Republic of Ireland, Norway or Malta, it must have treatment against tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis) 1 to 5 days before arriving in one of those countries. Your vet must enter full details on the AHC following treatment.

Arriving in the EU

On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with pets will need to enter through a designated Travellers’ point of entry (TPE).

At the TPE, you may need to present your pet’s original AHC along with proof of:

  • your pet’s microchip
  • rabies vaccination
  • successful blood test results
  • tapeworm treatment (if required)